Monday, January 25, 2010

I Am Back and Inspired!

I am back from Chattanooga, and I am ready to tackle the world! Well at least my small little part of the world.
I took several classes on pastured poultry, a few on gardening, and even more on marketing. I met so many nice people who were willing to listen to me and give me advice. I have come home with plenty of grandiose ideas- most of which Ray has put the kibosh on. He is much more realistic than I am. Me..... I want it all! Chickens, Ducks, Cows, Sheep, Turkeys, and a huge (acres upon acres) garden. Well, what I am getting are chickens, a few turkeys and a small garden. Ray said so! That is it! He is right, I should just start slow, and move up if we can handle that.
I came home late Saturday night, but was up early and ready to order seeds on Sunday. I have ordered so many wonderful seeds- I can't wait to get them in the ground!
Here is what I will be growing (or attempting) this year:
*Spring Potatoes- will arrive first week in March
Purple Viking
Dakota Rose
Irish Potatoes
Beans- I love Beans and hope to can enough to make us through the following year
Blue Lake
Kentucky Wonder
Beets- One of our household favorites
Ace
Flat of Egypt
Carrots- several varieties to make a colorful bouquet of carrots at the farmers markets
Napoli Carrots
Necter
Purple Haze
Rainbow- whites, yellows, and oranges
Corn- Hoping to plant several types
Kandy Korn
Silver Queen
Eggplant
Millionaire a deep purple eggplant
Fairy Tale a striped version
Lettuce & Spinach I ordered lots of different types- I do not want to have to eat anymore store bought lettuce.
Okra- bought just for my husband- I do not like Okra (it is not in my western genes)
Peas- will be going in soon
Canoe
Peppers- I have never grown these before- will be fun to try these out
Ace
Pumpkins- I want to make my own pumpkin pies this year
Baby Pam
Charisma-Eric wants to grow these so we will have our own jack-o-lanterns this year.
Squash-
Zucchini- Eight Ball & Cash Flow
Waltham Butternut
Sweet Meat Hubbard
Tomatoes- Trying different types this year, but really want to can enough to make it through the year
Salsa- ordered 3 plants
Mortgage Lifter Heirloom
Marianna
Watermelon-
Moon & Stars- A pretty melon with yellow star spots and one big yellow moon spot. Jonah is going to grow this for ME!
Carolina Cross- Supposed to get to 200lbs
Big & Tasty Seedless
Wow- I think I left some off too. Now you get the idea of what we are going to plant, and how crazy my husband thinks I am.

2 comments:

  1. Woah that is a huge list! I will have to check back in July and see how it's going - it's sure to be impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know- Do you think I get carried away easily? I can't wait to see it all green and pretty in my garden. I want Spring to come!

    ReplyDelete