Wednesday, January 27, 2010

We Have Land!!

We have officially signed the lease on our 2.08 acres. Yes, you read that right- I guess I wouldn't know 5 acres if it smacked me in the nose. Farmer D assures me that it is 2 acres and not 5. Oh well, 2 is plenty to start with.


My next hurdle is to find farm insurance. This is a must in order to fulfill my lease agreement with Farmer D and also to be allowed to sell at Farmers Markets. Most insurance companies that I have spoken with have said I do not have enough land/equipment to insure for what liability I am asking them to assume. So wish me luck- I will keep looking.


I have officially ordered the chicks, all 200 of them. I have ordered:
100 Cornish Cross Broilers,
80 Rosambro Broilers (no picture available yet) and 20 Red Broilers.
I am experimenting a little to find out which Breed I prefer.
Ray and I are now working on brooder plans. The brooder is the warm home the chicks will stay in for the first 3 weeks of their lives. We want to make it as cozy and comfortable as possible.
We continue to plan for our gardens as well. We measured out and dreamed a little about our garden today after we signed our lease. It will be a lot of work, but beautiful and productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment