Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I Am Thankful

I just read a blog about a women who is suffering through an illness.  It causes me to remember my own year of illness and surgeries.  I always knew there was something that GOD was trying to teach me.  I think we are all on our own paths and learning comes easier to some.  I don't know what God's plan for me is.  I am just trusting that I am now on the right path.

I never dreamed of being a farmer in my former life.  Never imagined a life where we worked to be self sufficient.  However, after spending a year in bed, I knew I never wanted to go back to that.  I wanted to take care of myself and my children.  I couldn't afford organic food on our one income family.  I struggled with the need to feed my family REAL good food.  I knew there was a better way.
I read a book or two by Joel Salatin and was hooked.  Specifically how to raise chickens and make $25,000 a year.  Sounded good!  However, that didn't translate to actual $$ for us.  Our main hurdle?  We lived in a sub-division! No Land!  So we leased land- two acres to begin with and eventually 20 acres.  We started with 150 Cornish Cross Chickens and ended with upwards of 1100 heritage chickens when we moved.  Did we make money? NO, but we were starting to get close.

I also found that I love working with our customers- I wanted them to know us, and see how we raised our animals.  I craved their reactions, I needed their accolades on the quality of our chicken and eggs ( and pork too).  I discovered I need words of affirmation- that is my language of love.  I love being a Mom, but you don't get too many words of affirmation from this job. 

I started working for an online farmers market, and working with other farmers.  I loved it!! I enjoyed my time with the customers and the farmers- and I learned so much.  Those farmers taught me so much about integrity and diligence.  They showed up every week, with the best they had to offer.  They apologized when they screwed up and worked doubly hard to make sure they didn't again.  They often woke up before the sun and went to bed long after the sun went down. If they were dairy farmers they worked twice as hard as the rest of us, for often little or no profit.  All of them (and me too), were full of hope for a brighter food world. 

So to sum up my post here.  I did get so off topic.  I am thankful for that year.  I did learn so much about myself.  My kids are better people for it, and I love them for their service to me and our family.
When life throws terrible things at you always always look for the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment