Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gonna Try This Again

Well- Here it goes again.
Today- was another cloudy, wet day. I haven't had to water the lawn or garden in weeks. The kiddos and myself (mostly kids) put bags and bags of compost, soil conditioner, peat moss, and sand into our raised garden beds. We have added another 12o square feet of garden this year, but haven't had soil in them until today. We are using "Mel's Mix" without the vermiculite. I have a source for vermiculite, but the lady who owns the nursery is very suspicious of my purchases. I wonder if she thinks I am starting my own horticulture business?
I have been watching other bloggers and trying to learn from them and how they post. One of the things I have seen and enjoy, is a list of to do items that they are trying to accomplish. So I thought I would try it.
So here we go: Tuesday May 26
1. Start kiddos on their schoolwork DONE
2. Fertilize garden with seaweed fertilizer DONE
3. Contemplate planting corn indoors or out? Will grow faster indoors under grow lights, but it will disturb its roots in the move. Maybe I should plant indoors in peat pots that will breakdown in the soil outdoors. Hmmmm. DONE
4. See a movie with a friend
5. Add protection/warrenty on new cell phone- important DONE
6. Plant more lettuce- trying new mix DONE
7. Plant cucumber indoors- will move outdoors in the next few weeks where the beets are currently. DONE
8. Contemplate what to do with the zucchini that is taking over the broccoli plants, and everything else in its path. DONE- I CUT IT BACK
9. If time permits- weed eat the weeds behind the garden beds. DONE
10. Have #1 son mow the lawns DONE- I MOWED BACK LAWN- HE MOWED FRONT
Future:
Lay down weed barrier around new planter
Put down edging around planter and fill with cedar chips
Try out the beer/slug treatment HOPEFULLY WORKING AS I TYPE

I will get out tomorrow and take some pictures of the garden for ya'll to see.

On the kid front- We took a holiday from school today, just like the school kids do. Well that is not necessarily true here in Georgia. The public school children here are out until August. Not mine..... we will be doing at least Math and Writing throughout the summer.
As I said before the kids helped with the garden today. We even had the neighbor boy working on the dirt shoveling. Later on this afternoon, after showers for everyone to wash the dirt from our bodies, we went next door and swam for several hours. They are sleeping soundly right now, but will no doubt be sore tomorrow.
Jonah had a Boy Scout meeting tonight. It was a "get ready and prove your worth before the backpacking campout "at the end of the week. The boys had to show that they had all of the packing list materials in their pack-plan their meals-make and find sleeping arrangements (who are you bunking with?)- and lastly, hike 3 miles with full backpack. The boy was exhausted when he returned from scouts. I told him to take an Ibuprofin and Benedryl and head off to bed. Hopefully, he will not be too sore tomorrow.
That is all for now- I will update more in the evening tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment